Born in Boston, Massachusetts.
Graduated Bradford Academy (now Bradford College).
Wheaton College, Norton, Massachusetts, B.A.
As an undergraduate, organized Conferences at Wheaton College to study and promote jobs for women with more than a high school education.
War service: Assistant to the Chief of Women’s Division, U.S. Employment Service, U.S. Dept. of Labor.
First woman appointed to the National Democratic Committee representing Massachusetts. Also, State Democratic Committee.
Book, Careers for Women, published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
First woman to receive M.Ed. degree from Harvard University.
Founder (with Mrs. Borden Harriman) of Women’s National Democratic Club.
First woman appointed by President Coolidge as Chairman of the first Federal Prison for Women and instituted a job training and rehabilitation program.
Founded Institute of Women’s Professional Relations and became its Chairman. Organized national conferences on opportunities for women with more than a high school education.
Re-edited Careers for Women published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Organized first chamber music concerts performed in a Washington museum, The Phillips Collection.
Imported dogs from Germany and Switzerland and started her own kennel at Wolf Trap Farm where she bred champions in three breeds. From 1930-1945 Mrs. Shouse bred and trained her own hunters and hunted with the Fairfax Hounds.
Organized General Clay Fund (1949) to help U.S. Army’s Assistance Program for German Youth
Trustee, Filene Foundation (Boston).
Elected to Board of National Symphony Orchestra Association. Vice President 1951-1968.
Honorary Vice President, National Symphony Orchestra Association.
Board, National Arbitration Association.
Board, Lincoln Filene Center of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Tufts University.
At request of former President Hoover, organized Washington Hungarian Relief Fund and raised a half-million dollars within a month.
Appointed by President Eisenhower as Chairman, President’s Music Committee, People-to-People Program.
Appointed by President Eisenhower to first Board of Trustees of the National Cultural Center. Reappointed in 1962 and in 1970 (by President Nixon) for 10-year term. Name changed to John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Also on its Executive and Building Committees.
Honorary Trustee, John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
Donated 40 acres of land at her Wolf Trap Farm, Vienna, Virginia, for the headquarters of the American Symphony Orchestra League.
Organization Committee for the Formulation of the Fairfax County Cultural Association.
Board, Opera Society of Washington.
Gave 100 acres of her Vienna farm to the U.S. Government for a National Park for the Performing Arts and donated the amphitheater, Filene Center. Accepted by Act of Congress in October 1966. The Department of the Interior was given responsibility for its operation under the National Park Service. Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts opened July 1, 1971, Mrs. Richard Nixon attending.
Appointed by Governor Godwin to the first Virginia Commission of the Arts and Humanities. Reappointed (1971) by Governor Linwood Holton.
Board, Wolf Trap Foundation. Chairman of Executive Committee 1975.
Appointed by President Nixon to Pennsylvania Avenue Development Commission.
Appointed to Board of Overseers, Hopkins Center, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire. Chairman 1981.
Appointed by President Ford to the Commission on Presidential Scholars.
Re-appointed to Board of Service League of Northern Virginia.
Renovated and donated two early 18th-century barns to Wolf Trap Foundation for a performing arts facility. “The Barns at Wolf Trap” were rebuilt on 26 acres of land adjacent to Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts for the Performing Arts, Vienna, Virginia. Other buildings on this property donated in 1980 to Wolf Trap Foundation include two houses, a garage and a swimming pool.
Honorary Chairman, Committee for the Arts, Hopkins Center, Dartmouth College.
Honorary Director, Washington Chamber Orchestra.
Advisory board, The Washington Conservatory.
First Honorary Member, Washington College Friends of the Arts Committee.
Member, American Committee on the French Revolution 1789-1989.
Wheaton College established the Filene Center for Work and Learning in her honor.
Invited by Dean Ezra Laderman of the Yale School of Music to serve on Board of Directors. Invited by Robert G. Stone, Jr. Chairman, to serve on the Harvard Overseers’ Committee on University Resources.
Dedication of the Catherine Filene Shouse Career Center at Hood College, Frederick, Maryland.