Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts is pleased to continue the longstanding community tradition of the Holiday Sing-A-Long, this year with a virtual twist! Traditionally, this event combined a festive instrumental performance by the United States Marine Band and a sing-a-long of traditional holiday carols led by more than 500 local singers. This year's event will be presented in a digital format and we’re inviting you to participate.
The event will include a program of festive songs pre-recorded at The Barns at Wolf Trap and conclude with a compilation-style community sing-a-long; this is where we need your help!
Submit a video of yourself (alone or in a group) singing along with “Deck the Halls” by Wednesday, October 28 and your video could be featured in one of the virtual performances! Technical specifications and instructions for recording are below; videos can be easily recorded at home via cell phone or laptop. Festive attire, such as your favorite holiday sweater or Santa hat, or even festive décor, such as a cozy fireplace or evergreen tree, is encouraged!
Please note: due to anticipated volume of response, not all submission videos may be used in the final compilation.
We hope that you will join us from home for the virtual performances on December 5 and 19, 2020, gathered safely with family, cocoa, and cookies.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
How To Film Your Holiday Sing-A-Long Video
ALL FILES DUE BY OCTOBER 28, 2020 by 5 PM.
- Find a room/space with more furniture for less echo.
- Face a window or a light source – do not have a light source to your back.
- Sing along to this United States Marine Band recording as a reference for pitch and tempo.
- Consider using earbuds or AirPods if available so that the original music you are singing to is not heard in your recording.
2. Framing the shot
- Turn on the grid function
- iPhone: Settings > Camera > Grid (toggle on)
- Android: Camera app > Settings > Grid Lines
- Bottom of the frame should be at stomach level and a hands width from the head to the top of the frame – place yourself in the center.
- You should be about a hand and arm’s length away from the camera.
- Leave more room between you and the camera for better editing in post.
- Film horizontally.
- Keep the camera slightly above eye level.
- If possible, film with the rear facing camera – please do not use the selfie camera.
- Confirm that the yellow square that appears is tracking your face and tap once on your face for the phone to switch to the proper exposure.
- Change the fps (frame per second)
- iPhone: Settings > Camera > Record Video > 4K at 24fps or 1080p HD at 30fps
- Android: Settings > Camera Settings > Rear Video Size > 16:9 UHD at 24 or 30fps
4. Sending Files
- Upload to Dropbox.
- Upload all files by October 28, 2020 by 5 PM.
- Prior to sending please make sure the technical specs are correct:
- 24fps or 30fps frame rate
- 1920x1080 aspect ratio
- 1080p or 4K resolution
- mp4 or mov file format
- 1 unbroken take
By voluntarily submitting a video for the Wolf Trap Holiday Sing-A-Long, I consent to the use of my image, voice, and surroundings in the finished product(s). I hereby authorize Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts and other interested agencies and persons to cause the same to be exhibited as still photographs, online videos, and/or other related uses related to the Program, including and Program publicity and promotion, and in all media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world (including, without limitation, the Internet).
I hereby waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product or products, and the copy or other matter that may be used in connection with the product(s), whether that use is known to me or unknown, and I waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising from or related to the use of the photographs, videos, and/or audio recordings.
I hereby release Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts and its trustees, officers, employees, Board of Directors, volunteers, or agents from any and all claims for damages, libel, slander, invasion of privacy, or any other claim based on the use of said material, and I hereby agree to indemnify Wolf Trap and hold Wolf Trap harmless from any claim, including attorney’s fees.